Decision Canada 2006

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Get your Hands out of my Holster!

Ok, listen. I'm not a bad person. I work long hours during the day, pay my taxes on time, and except for a couple of photo radar tickets, stay well within the boundaries of the law. When I decided to take up target shooting a year or so ago, I went to the range a few times with a good friend, studied the manuals, and took the tests for the restricted and non-restricted firearms license. I passed both practical exams with 100% marks (had to load, unload, and show safe handling and firing methods with three restricted, and three non-restricted firearms). I passed one of the writtens with 100%, the other with 98%. I purchased my firearms (one handgun, one shotgun, and one rifle), registered them, and in the case of my handgun, received an Authorization To Transport (ATT) from the Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC) , to bring the package containing my handgun from the post office (attached to my apartment building via an underground tunnel) to my apartment. I then went down to the local CFC office, applied for and received, a long-term ATT to bring my handgun, “via the most direct means practical”, from my apartment to a firing range, port of entry into Canada, gunsmith, or gun store. That meant that I could not, on the way from my apartment to my range (½ hour north of the city) stop off at Tim Hortons for a coffee. I followed every rule to the letter, and right now have my trigger-locked handgun, rifle, and shotgun in locked containers that cannot easily be broken into.


However, according to the Liberals, I am now somehow a danger to others because of my hobby. Never mind that more people are killed by bathroom fixtures every year then firearms. Never mind that shooting a handgun at a range is safer then, oh, playing bridge (ok, that might be pushing it, but among sports, handgun shooting is one of the safest). They want to confiscate my guns, in the manner of the Nazis in Germany.


This isn't going to make a difference when it comes to gun violence. The guns used, for the most part, are unregistered to begin with, imported illegally from the United States, and many would already be prohibited under C-68 and C-10A. The NDP realize that this is a useless attempt to stop crime. The BQ... hard to say, they have loved C-68 thus far, I don't see them having too much of a problem with it (unless they end up having a moral objection to stealing private property).


All in all – hopefully Torontonians (because really, that is exactly who this is aimed at, let's not fool ourselves into believing this is attempting to do anything but save some seats from falling to the NDP primarily, a few [maybe] to the CPC) see through this BS, and realize that confiscating items which are not the problem, will not somehow be the solution.

7 Comments:

  • Finally, and issue that I half agree with you on

    By Blogger Whatever, at 4:29 PM  

  • Just to clarify, when I say partly agree, I do agree with you that hand guns shouldn't all be illegal, but I think that it should be illegal to walk with one loaded anywhere except a shooting range or in your residence. I don't think that the Liberals view YOU as dangerous, just other Canadians who want to use guns for more violent purposes than a shooting range and don't import illegally (a small number of those, but they do exist)

    By Blogger Whatever, at 5:01 PM  

  • Wow, we almost agree! I support concealed-carry as I would rather rely on myself for protection then a police officer who is 10 minutes away. Compare similar American cities where the main difference is that one allows for concealed (or even open) carry, and the other does not allow civilians to carry firearms (with rare exceptions similar to Canada, requiring a whole lot of proof that there is an immenant and specific threat to life, police cannot defend, yadda yadda yadda). You will see the crime rates of cities without carry laws are a whole lot higher. This is after accounting for such things as regional differences, racial divide, population, economy etc.

    By Blogger Greg P, at 6:12 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger blazer, at 8:13 PM  

  • Why do you bring a hand gun to a shooting range? What is the use for handguns? I think rifles are fine but handguns? You don't use handguns for hunting and shooting with a hand gun is usually for close combat type stuff which occurs in the drive-by's that plague our streets. Ok...so those are illegal hand guns. Make gun laws more strict then. Just do something about it. Plenty of people still die in Canada because of guns.

    By Blogger blazer, at 8:17 PM  

  • "Why do you bring a hand gun to a shooting range? "

    Um... because it is a fun and relaxing hobby? Movies notwithstanding, putting 5 shots through the bullseye at 25 yards isn't that easy - it takes a whole lot of practice.

    Why do you bring a baseball bat to the batting cage? Trying to beat the hell out of a ball is pretty violent. You talk about close-quarters combat... using a weapon such as a baseball bat is a whole lot more primally violent then using a handgun.

    The need for firearms notwithstanding, will banning them make Canada safer? Judging from England's experience, it will make it more dangerous. So, we are willing to spend, well, who knows how much moneh, for some half-assed feel good policy.

    Thanks for being so free with my money, guys.

    By Blogger Greg P, at 6:56 AM  

  • Also, reference "Plenty of people still die in Canada because of guns." No, plenty of people die in Canada because of criminals. As a bumper sticker I saw said, "blaming guns for colombine is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnel being fat"

    By Blogger Greg P, at 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home